Village of Tuxedo Park
The Race Track, a 21-acre flat land owned by the Village of Tuxedo Park, was built in 1887 as a polo field. The site of the Tuxedo Park horse racing tack until 1941, it was then abandoned and eventually became an unsightly dumping ground for tree refuse.
In 2016, the Village Board of Trustees granted permission to TPTAB to transform the area into a nature preserve. This transformation project, under the guidance of natural landscape specialist Larry Weaner Landscape Associates, is expected to take about five years and is funded entirely by donations.
The restoration work involves eliminating in stages the invasive plants to make way for the planting of a meadow of native grasses and flowers surrounded by a perimeter of healthy trees and native shrubs. The invigorated habitat will offer a sanctuary to a wide array of flora and fauna which already live there or use it during migration. Walking paths will facilitate enjoyment by residents.